top of page

Categories of Travel

You need a reason for visiting. “Tourism” is not an accepted reason for visiting Cuba from the US.  Instead, you need to meet one of these 12 criteria, which are considered to fall under a General License:

  • family visits

  • official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations

  • journalistic activity

  • professional research and professional meetings

  • educational activities

  • religious activities

  • public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions

  • support for the Cuban people

  • humanitarian projects

  • activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes

  • exportation, importation, or transmission of information or informational materials

  • certain authorized export transactions

The general licenses are self-qualifying. Familiarize yourself with the 12 OFAC categories and determine which category best fits with your purpose of travel. All licensing is authorized by the Office of Foreign Assets Control. If you are unsure of what license you should be traveling under please contact the Licensing Division of the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) at 1-202-622-2480 or visit their website.
Please note: a visa is a completely different document from the travel license (affidavit provided by your airline), and all U.S. visitors to Cuba are required to have one in hand before arriving.

On the Pretty Girl Painting Art & Culture of Cuba Trips and Tours, we will be traveling under the "educational activities" category.  On the affidavit form from JetBlue you will need to mark which category allows you to travel to Cuba legally, and you will mark the "educational activities, including people-to-people exchanges" option.  Because of the full time itinerary of educational activities that we are maintaining, among other requirements, we qualify to travel legally under this license.

bottom of page